Administration interview with Mr. Smithhart

Daylen irwin, Newspaper staff member

1. How long have you been working at Pearl? ~ This is my 19th year at pearl.
  2. What made you first decide to work here at Pearl? ~ I got offered an Assistant Principal position, and it was a good financial move for my family.
  3. What did you do before you were in Administration? ~ I had been a basketball coach, but most of the time I had coached football.
  4. What’s a typical day like for you?  What sort of things do you have to do each day when you come to work? ~ Check schedules for students, officials for games or people on gate duty; make sure the facilities are clean and have buses for away games; hire coaches and interview coaches.
  5. Did you work at any other schools before you worked here? ~ Warren Central and Vicksburg.
  6. Where did you go to high school and college? ~ Hinds Junior College for two years; Southern Miss for two and a half years.
  7. What was your favorite subject and favorite activity when you were in high school? ~ History was my favorite subject – I really liked to learn about the Civil War and World War 2.  I played basketball, football, baseball.
  8. What is the most rewarding thing about your job? ~ Seeing the coaches and students be successful.  I like when they come together as a team.
  9. What is the most challenging thing about your job? ~ Not being able to see everyone happy – you can’t keep everyone happy.
  10. If you could trade jobs with somebody at PHS for one day, who would it be and why? ~ Mr. Chism, because I want to see how I could handle the challenges that come with the job.
  11. Who are some personal heroes of yours that you look up to? ~  I like to think of my dad as a hero, because of how he had worked and did things for me.
  12. What do you like to do in your spare time when you aren’t at work? ~ I like to hunt and travel, and I used to ski a lot, and I also like going down to the beach.
  13. What are some of your favorite Extra-curricular activities of the students’ that you like to watch? ~ I enjoy going to all the athletic games we have, and I like the plays – the students do amazing thing in the plays.  I enjoy most of the things we do unless it’s cold.
  14. Are you married?  Do you have any children and/or grandchildren? ~ I have been married 37 years in May, and I have 5 children: 4 girls and 1 boy.  I will have 6 grandchildren in May: 5 grandsons and 1 granddaughter.
  15. If you could have any other job in the whole world for a day, what would you do? ~ I would like to be a life guard on a beach.