New Employee Interviews

Daniel Villarreal, Newspaper Staff Member

Interview with Coach Tabor

Coach Tabor coaches basketball and teaches Health.

1) What made you want to teach at Pearl?

The reputation Pearl High School holds in both their academic and athletic departments makes it an honor to work here.

2) What made you want to teach/coach?

My parents have both been a part of education for my entire life.  As a child, I always watched my dad coach basketball and it has sense been a dream of my own.  I enjoy coaching basketball and teaching Health, which is a vital part of being on a sports team.

3) Where did you go to college and what did you study there?

I attended Mississippi College and obtained a degree in Kinesiology.  I also was a part of the men’s basketball team there.

4) How long have you been teaching? 

This will be my second year teaching and third year coaching.

5) Who in your life inspired you to be a teacher?

My parents inspired me the most to teach.

6) Where are you from originally and where did you go to school?

I have been a resident of Florence, MS, my entire life, and I graduated from Florence High School.

7) What do you like to do outside of school and on the weekends?

I enjoy spending time with my family and friends, watching and learning more about sports, and exercising.

8) Where is the most fascinating place you have been to and why? 

New York is the most fascinating place I have been to, because of all the things there is to see and experience there.

9) What is your favorite TV show, movie, and song?

My favorite TV show is Live PD or Impractical Jokers.  My favorite movie is a toss-up between Hoosiers and Coach Carter.  I like multiple types of music and can’t choose just one favorite song.

10) What are the three most interesting facts about you?

The three most interesting facts about me are:

1 – I was a part of the Florence basketball team and we made it the play-offs for the first time in 27 years.

2 – My wife and I go to Disney as often as we can – sometimes once a month.

3 – Lastly, I have seen 28 out of the 30 MLB teams play baseball.

Interview with Ms. Bowden

Ms. Bowden teaches Science and Learning Strategies in Lab 1 (end of the History Hall).
I wanted to teach at Pearl because I had heard wonderful things about this district.  While I was in college, I was also able to do some field observations here in Mrs. Weems’s class, and I could really see that this was a great community.
2) What made you want to teach? 
I’ve always wanted to be in a field that helps people. In high school I was part of the Health Science Academy. When I first started college, I wanted to double major in Music and Psychology and be a music therapist, but I ended up in education and I love it. I had taken one education class my freshmen year. As I was trying to figure out what I was wanting to do later in my college career, I thought about that class and remembered how much I enjoyed it and education.
I went to Millsaps College.  I majored in Elementary Education with a Special Education endorsement and minored in Music.
4) How long have you been teaching?
This is my first year teaching, and it is just as scary as I thought it would be.
I think having really bad teachers has made me want to be a teacher. It has given me the desire to show kids that not EVERY teacher is “that way”. There are good teachers, and I strive to be a good (hopefully great) teacher.
I’m from Brandon and graduated from Brandon High School.  Some may say I’m a traitor, but I think it’s the best choice I ever could’ve made.  I love being here!
7) What do you like to do out of school and on the weekends?
I love watching TV and sleeping.  I go to church on Sundays and help out with our high school youth class.
I would have to say Europe is the most fascinating place I’ve ever been.  My college offered many study abroad options, including some 2-3 week long trips for people that didn’t want to be gone for a whole semester. I chose a music study trip to Vienna and Prague and LOVED it.  The culture shock of being in a different country was definitely one of the most interesting parts of this.  It is just nothing like being in the U.S.
My favorite tv show is probably Family Guy.  I love mindless humor, and it is definitely full of it.  I honestly don’t have a favorite movie.  I’ve been trying to come up with something and just can’t think of anything.  My favorite song changes from time to time, but currently it I would have to say it is “The Man” by The Killers.
1 – I love Jack Black. I think if I was a guy, I would be a lot like him.
2 – I really enjoy singing. I sang in the jazz band at Millsaps, and it was nerve-wracking but super fun.
3 – I saw Joan Jett live when I was 12.