The Pirate Speaks

Feature Teacher: Jennifer Cole

Angel Helom, Staff Writer

Have you met Mrs. Jennifer Cole? She is one of the brilliant new teachers teaching here at Pearl High School. Mrs. Cole is a former PHS Alumni who graduated with the class of 2006. After graduating from PHS, she attended Hinds Community College for only a couple of semesters. Due to her husband joining the military, she finished her degree in Mobile, Alabama,at the University of South Alabama “Go JAGS!”

She chose to major in math because she feels that everyone just needs the right person to teach them the way of math. When she was in high school, she would always end up helping about half of the class understand different concepts in different math classes. One day, a friend of Mrs. Cole decided that she wasn’t going to go to college because she didn’t want to have to take College Algebra. At that moment, she decided to become a math teacher. She felt that College Algebra should not hold anyone back from doing what they want to do in life.  One of the most rewarding parts about being a teacher to her is when a student tells her that they are actually understanding math now. The most challenging part about being a teacher to her is helping students understand that it is okay when they don’t understand something. They just need to work at it more or think about it from a different angle. Struggling through different concepts in math is an essential part of truly understanding those concepts. 

She has now been teaching Geometry and Algebra for 2 years. Since Mrs. Cole’s husband went from active duty Coast Guard to Coast Guard Reserves, they decided to move back home to be closer to family. She thought it would be pretty awesome to work here. So far, her experience has been above and beyond what she was hoping for.

She has now been married for ten years and has two children; one is 10 years of age and the other is 7 years age. She loves to sing, act, and write. She is also a semi-casual gamer. Mrs. Cole also loves sushi filet mignon and fried rice. She stated “Hibachi places are my favorite! (My kids call hibachi restaurants “the fire man place.”) Her favorite color is fark turquoise. She also loves to watch NCISBig Bang Theory, and Doctor Who. Now you have met the Jennifer Cole. Next time you see her, be sure to give her a big wave.