The Pirate Speaks

“Separation of Immigrant Children Devastates Families”

Alexa Garcia-Del Rio, Staff Writer

In October 2017, when trying to cross the southwest border illegally, immigrants were detained in McAllen, Texas. Immigrant children are continually being separated from their families and taken to facilities.

In early May, 2,342 children had already been separated from their families. Donald Trump, current President of the United States, signed a policy called the “Zero-Tolerance Policy.” This policy included separation of parents traveling with kids, and total prosecution of any person trying to cross into the United States illegally. Attorney General Jeff Sessions agreed with Trump’s Policy of persecuting every person that tries to enter the country illegally. Attorney General Jeff Sessions said, “an escalated effort is needed to address the crisis at the southwest border.”

On June 20, 2018, Donald Trump retrieved the old policy and added a new policy. This policy stated that there will be no separation of families. Instead, the whole family will be retained in a detention center. Also, the new policy had no limited time for the immigrant children to stay in any type of facilities, while the old policy would only permit children to stay at most twenty days.

According to statistics, sixty-five children are being separating from their families per day. The Zero-Tolerance Policy is causing child shelters to fill up faster. April 19 through May 31, 1,995 children were separated from their families, which meant forty-six children were separated per day. On January1 through May 31, there were between 21,181 unaccompanied minors detained at the border.

On May 12, 2018 a Honduran man called Marco Antonio Munoz crossed the Rio Grande with his wife and 3-year-old son. They wanted to apply for asylum; however, the Border Patrol told them they had to be separated. Marco Muñoz was then taken to the Department of Homeland Security. The next day Marco was found dead in his cell with a piece of clothing twisted around his neck. None of this appeared in the news, and it was an act done because people want to separate families that came to this country for protection not for separation.

Children are also suffering and being traumatized. In a shelter in Arizona, three siblings are being kept away from their parents. They are terrified and inconsolable. According to Andar Davidson, “three Brazilian siblings, distraught after they had been separated from their parents, were told they’re not allowed to hug one another.” Davidson recently quit his job at the facility.

This separation is happening because of a policy that is inhumanely cruel. A policy that is tormenting millions of people today. However, it will continue if someone doesn’t do something about it.