The Pirate Speaks

“Popstar Overdoses Once Again”

Sofia Gongora, Staff Writer

Demetria Devonne Lovato, former Disney Channel star and pop singer, relapsed on July 12, 2018.  Although it was only her sixth year of sobriety, she overdosed on what was said to be heroin. This heartbreaking event happened after celebrating one of her dancers’ birthdays in her Hollywood Hills home where she was seen drinking with her friends. She’s now stable and has been admitted into a rehab center in Chicago where she will be doing extensive treatments to ensure that she gets the help she needs.  

Lovato recently released a song on her new album called “Sober.” In the song, she pours out her heart and basically confesses that she’s relapsed. “I want to be a role model but I’m only human,” she says. She also came out with a documentary last year named Demi Lovato: Simply Complicated, where she tells her story about her addiction to drugs and alcohol. She admits in the documentary that the last time she had to go into a rehabilitation center, she was eighteen and had been diagnosed with Bipolar disorder and depression. 

Since she was little, Lovato has had a lot of issues. Her dad was also a user. Her mom, her sisters, and she eventually had to leave their dad behind because he started getting abusive. She says that by using, she was searching for what he found in drugs and alcohol because it fulfilled him, and he chose that over his family. She was also bullied a lot in grade school and was even told to kill herself. This resulted in a suicide petition going around her school that was started by her bullies.  

Demi Lovato dyed her long locks blonde post-overdose. She also came out with a statement where she thanks all her fans for their support. Some words from her statement are, “I now need time to heal and focus on my sobriety and road to recovery. The love you have shown me will never be forgotten, and I look forward to the day where I can say I came out on the other side. I will keep fighting.” She’s gotten numerous comments from many friends and stars such as Ellen, Ariana Grande, Lady Gaga, the Jonas Brothers, Sam Smith, etc. Closer friends such as Iggy Azalea and Wilmer Valderrama said they’d known she was struggling as she had just cut her sobriety coach off, but they never expected this to happen. 

Although Lovato has had this issue in the past, she was able to overcome it for six years. Hopefully, she will be able to get past this, too.