The Pirate Speaks

“School Shooting in Kentucky”

Sadejah Wells, Staff Writer

For centuries, school shootings has been a problem that schools  still now struggle with everyday. School shootings go back to as far as the 18th century.  It began in 1840, in  Charllottesville, Virginia, when John Anthony Gardner Davis , a professor at University of Virgina, was shot by Joseph Semmes , who was a student at the time and died from his wounds three days later. The following years only got worse as the word spread about these shootings throughout the world. Students began to see shooting at school as a way of going out with a bang while also ruling out any person who has abused them in any form. Katherine Newman , co author of rampage: The SocialRoots of School Shootings says, “Shooting is the last act in a very long drama in which all the other attempts to gain attention have failed. And sadly, shooting works.” In many cases students make it aware that they have trouble at school and sometimes they even try to get help, but few are ever payed any attention, too. In some cases people may think that the student is bluffing or only seeking attention instead of helping the child. Now that school shootings have become very common, schools have regulated many things and pay very close attention in case any thing were to happen.  In the year 2018, there are still active shootings happening. On January 24, 2018, there was a school shooting in western Kentucky at County High School. Two students were killed, leaving a few others injured. A 15-year-old male student was arrested on scene and will be charged with murder and attempted murder. Police commissioner Richard W. Sanders said, “The subject, armed with a handgun, walked into the school at 8:57 and started shooting. The victims all ranged from 14 to 18. Fourteen were males and six were females.” Many students were able to escape and call their parents to inform them on what was happening. People of western Kentucky are still at shock. Police say they don’t know the killers motive but they will get down to it.