The Pirate Speaks

“Origins of Christmas Trees”

Boston's official Christmas tree is lit on Boston Common throughout the holiday season. Christmas in Boston turns the city into a wonderland of festive creative lighting and sparkling Christmas trees, decorations, special holiday music and shows. Boston is the capital and largest city of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and New England

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Angel Helom, Staff Writer

A Christmas tree is a real or artificial evergreen tree set up and decorated with lights and ornaments as part of Christmas celebrations.

The first Christmas tree was in Alsace around 1600.  The Christmas tree originally stood for eternal life. The ancient Egyptians worshipped a god called Ra. When Ra began to recover from the illness, the Egyptians filled their homes with tall green trees which symbolized, for them, the triumph of life over death.

Christmas tree ornaments, which were invented in German town, are decorations for the Christmas tree made of glass, wood, or metal. Some ornaments can even be handcrafted. Even angels are made to put at the top or on the Christmas tree.

Germany originally started the Christmas tree tradition as we now know it today. Also, some built Christmas pyramids of wood and decorated them with evergreens and candles if wood was scarce. Martin Luther, the 16th-century Protestant reformer, first added lighted candles to a tree. Walking toward his home one winter evening, composing a sermon, he was in amazement by the brilliance of stars twinkling on the Christmas tree. To recreate the scene for his family, he erected a tree in the main room and wired its branches with lighted candles. Candles still light Christmas trees today.

As of 2017, presents are bought, wrapped, and placed under the Christmas tree for the next morning. Not only are the trees decorated, but some even go out the way and decorate their front yards. Lights, little figures, and electronic enhancements are put outside to have everyone in great awe of the home. It also displays the amount of Christmas spirit that is held throughout the household.

Rockefeller Center Christmas tree happens to be one of the most famous Christmas trees in the world. This traditional tree tradition came about in 1933. The Depression Era and War II contributed to the upbringing of the tree. In times where people had nothing to look forward to, the tree gave everyone hope and faith. Since 1997, the lightning ceremony has been broadcast on NBC. After Christmas is over, each year after display, the tree has been milled into lumber and donated to Habitat for Humanity for use in house construction.