The Pirate Speaks

“History of Black Friday”

Sadejah Wells, Staff Writer

The day after Thanksgiving is known as the official start of holiday season. The actual day is called Black Friday. It was first recorded as being Black Friday in 1966 by Earl Apfelbaum. “Black Friday is the name that the Philadelphia police department gave to the Friday following Thanksgiving day” , said Earl Apfelbaum. Before Black Friday was an official day, many people struggled with naming this day, due to previous falls related to the name “Black.” The first major crash was in 1929. This day is known as Black Tuesday. The stock market lost a large percentage of money which caused a Wall Street crash. It carried on a few days before completely crashing and sending many people without work or money. That Thursday is said to be  the Start of the Great Depression. Another tragic downfall happened in 1987, and came to be known as “Black Monday,” when the Dow Jones Industrial average fell 22 percent. After taking so many losses, they wanted a day that meant something good. Black Friday is a day full of bargains and some of the best offers throughout the entire year. Although Black Friday is supposed to be a good day some sales can be a dangerous thing. Every year more people are found dead or often have to be hospitalized because they were injured trying to shop. Walmart is one of the most dangerous places to go on Black Friday. Every year the crimes in Walmart get worse and worse.  In 2012, at a Walmart in Tallahassee, Florida, two people were shot over a parking spot. In 2013, a Police Officer shot a man who refused arrest. He was caught shoplifting in a local Walmart in Chicago. In 2016 , three people were shot in Nevada, Tennessee. The worst incident occurred back in 2008 when a man was trampled to death. He was 65 year old ,Jdimytai Damour and died of asphyxication . More than 2,000 people had broken down the doors to enter a store. A Pregnant woman along with eleven others were injured. This year Black Friday falls on November 24. Specials will be posted including many online deals. Although black Friday is a day for holiday shopping and bargain it’s a day that could be be very danger.