The Pirate Speaks

“History of Tattoos”

Claire Henderson, Staff Writer

As tattoos and piercings become more and more widely acceptable in work and school environments in modern times, we take a look back to discover how tattoos were viewed from the very beginning.

Before the discovery of the “Iceman” in 1991, many people believed the earliest tattoos to date back to 2000 BC, but with this new information, researchers changed the date to an even later time. This “Iceman”, a frozen mummy found on the Italian- Australian boarder, is believed to be 5,200 years old. The mummy has evidence of body inking on his spine, right knee, and ankle bones which scientists believe to have been therapeutic and helped to relieve joint pain. This theory explains why the dotted markings and small cross images are so scattered about the body.

Ancient egyptians are the next peoples to be on the timeline of tattoos. there is evidence that women were tattooed with broze tools from about 4000 bc to 3500 Bc. Because most of these evidences show that the women were tattooed, researchers belive the woment to have been “Dancing girls”, as to the fact that these markings were those of prosititues and protected those women from sexually transmitted diseases, AND considered lower class; however, there is evidence that one of the women discovered was buried the way that those of high status. upon further research, scientist believe that the markings were used as protection during preganacy and a representation to “keep everything in”as the markings were in a net design across the breast and torso and down the thighs. this theory would explain why there were only seen on women of the time.

Evidence for tattooing in chinese culture dates back to the Han dynasty and it seems that only criminals were tattooed. in japensese culture, tattoos started appearing in the 3rd century. these tattoos are consider to be markings that link individuls to a certain group of people or those of a religion.

IN TODAY’S TATTOOS, WE can SEE THESE HISTORICAL INFLUENCES. iN MOST TATTOOS THERE IS A MEANING BEHIND IT OR JUST AN APPRIECATION FOR THE ART. MANY GET CROSSES AND SYMbOLS OF RELIGION OR PROCTECTION AND LINK THESE INDIVIDUALS MUCH liKE THEY DID in the PAST. –