The Pirate Speaks

“Recent Terrorist Attacks”

Angel Helom, Staff Writer

Halloween is a leisure day to celebrate, relax, eat candy, and enjoy the ghosts of the day. Sadly, New York did not receive this opportunity. Devastation filled the air of New York on the 3lst of October due to the truck attack commenced by Sayfullo Habibullaevich Saipov. 

Sayfullo Habibullaevich Saipov is a 29-year-old from Uzbekistan. He drove a flatbed pickup truck into runners and cyclists along a one-mile bike path in Lower Manhattan, New York. After attempting to cause a great mass of destruction, Sayfullo jumped out of the pickup truck and screamed “God is great.” He then started firing off a pellet gun. Luckily, a NYPD officer on duty, Ryan Nash, tracked Sayfullo down and ordered him to drop his weapons. Sayfullo refused so he was then shot in the abdomen. Surviving the shot, he was arrested but is now at the hospital in critical condition. Eight people were killed and eleven were severely injured. Among the eight victims that were killed, there were a group of friends celebrating the 30th anniversary of their high school graduation. Sayfullo claimed he did this attack in the name of ISIS. He had videos on his phone of ISIS and their terror attacks. He studied their strategies and attempted to attack in the name of them. As Sayfullo was in his hospital bed, he asked for the ISIS flag to be displayed in his room. He then said that he felt good about what he had done.Trump responded to the situation on Twitter, stating “We must not allow ISIS to return, or enter, our country after defeating them in the Middle East and   elsewhere. Enough!” Actions like Sayfullo’s  gives trump more power to stop immigration and make lives for immigrants harder. Trump also stated that Sayfullo should get the death penalty. The court stated that that would be unconstitutional. President Trump then ordered the Department of Homeland Security to “step up”. Meanwhile, Mukhammadzoir Kadirov is now a new suspect that the FBI are looking for. He is a new suspect of interest in this crime. The FBI are seeking help from the public on any information that they have on Mukhammadzoir Kadirov