The Pirate Speaks

“Las Vegas Shooting”

Angel Helom, Staff Writer

It started off as a normal night out in Las Vegas. Thousands of people were attending Route 91 Harvest music festival in hopes of having a great time with family and friends. Considering this event is safely held every year in Las Vegas with no problems, no one thought much about the festival. Sadly, the festival did not end that way.  

The night of October 1, 2017, the gunman, by the name of Stephen Paddock, arrived at the hotel days before the mass shooting. Paddock carried more than ten suitcases into his hotel suite. The day of the mass shooting, he broke two of his suite’s windows with a hammer. Through the same windows, he began shooting hundreds of rifle rounds into the festival audience. The crowds’ initial thought was that the shots were firecrackers. Paddock managed to alternate between twelve riffles, resulting in a death of over 1,3000people. When police officers finally made it to the same floor as Mr. Paddock, they could no longer hear the gunfire. When police were able to enter his room, they found him dead. He shot himself in the head before the police entered the room. They also perceived that another party was involved in the crime. They brought this allegation to the table but could never prove it. The crime was committed by Mr. Paddock, and Mr. Paddock alone.  Many bodies are still in the process of being recognized by family and friends. This incident is the deadliest mass shooting committed by any induvial in the United States. The next morning, lines to donate blood in Las Vegas stretched for miles. Millions of dollars have also been raised to help victims and their families.  

Tiina Frost, a victim of the shooting, was fatally shot in the forehead and put into a coma the day of the mass shooting. It has been over a week since the incident took place. On Monday, October 16, 2017, she awakened from her coma. After awakening, Tina then received therapy to learn how to walk again. The doctors and her family were in great astonishment. The doctors said she is showing promising signs of a speedy recovery.