Solar Eclipse

Back to Article
Back to Article

Solar Eclipse

Sadejah Wells, Staff Writer

On Monday, August 21, 2017, A Solar eclipse will occur. The last Solar eclipse was 40 years ago in 1979.

Nasa says that experiencing a total solar eclipse only happens every 375 years. The next solar eclipse won’t be until 2024.

During a solar eclipse, to see it totally you must be 70 miles wide of the moons shadow. The moon and the sun both appear to be the same size from looking above, but in reality the sun is 400 times wider and 400 times father than the moon.

“The hairs on the back of your neck is going to stand up and you’re going to feel different things as the eclipse reaches totality. It’s been described as peaceful, spiritual, exhilarating, and shocking,” said Brian Carlstrom, deputy associate and science directorate at Nasa.

The solar eclipse’s shadow first crosses the west coast at 9:05 am. People in Lincoln City Oregon, will be the first to witness the total shadow. Because of its location Mississippi won’t be as fortunate with seeing the Eclipse’s full coverage. In Mississippi, there will be a 90 percent affect. To see the full coverage, the next closest place is Tennessee.

It will cross the area around 1:26 pm, lasting less than 7 minutes.

Many people have been preparing for this events by purchasing glasses and even selfie sticks. Many schools are even allowing students to not attend school for this event, while others have agreed to continue school but allow students to still witness this event.