The student news site of Pearl High School

The Pirate Speaks

Women March For Their Rights

Trey Self, Staff Writer

On January 25, there was a women’s march in Jackson, MS at the Mississippi State Capital. There was also a march in Washington.

There were half a million at the women’s march in Washington D.C. There were over 100 people at the women’s march in Jackson.

At the march in Jackson there were inspirational speakers and some singers. “I’m Every Woman” was one of the songs sung at the Jackson march.

Donna K. Ladd, Felicia Brown-Williams, Alyce Clark, Nsombi Lambright, Brandiilyne Mangum- Dear, Patricia Ice, Luarie Betram Roberts, Kristy Jhonson, Kaylee Bradshaw, Angela Wall, Ann Maclaine, Khadijah Rashid, Lydia Bain, Jaribu Hill, Nellie Mack, Jessica James, Regina Quinn, Ase Lovechild, Ebony Lumumba were the speakers at the women’s march.

The march started at 12:00pm and ended at 3:00pm. Jes Caraway is a wife and a mom and one of the women who marched for her rights. “I thought it was awesome to be able to send a message to the president and the country that women have voices. It also raised awareness for not only women’s issues but equal human rights. The turnout from not only Jackson but all over the US and the world shows that there are a lot of people who want equal rights. It also made me proud that my son and his friends wanted to be apart of it, too. I hope they’ll see that there is power in numbers of people and change is possible,” said Caraway.

Hunter Jones is a student at McLaurin High School. “ I loved the march. It was so much fun,” said Jones.

Skye Wood ia a senior at Pearl High School. “ It is a fantastic march for many political reasons,” said Wood.